Hackpads are smart collaborative documents. Join Hackpad Now.
12 days ago
0 / 5
Unfiled. Edited by Nancy Hoebelheinrich 12 days ago
Nancy H 28 November 2016
 
  • AIST Solicitation
  • Notices of Intent are requested by December 21, 2016, proposals are due February 16, 2017.
Nancy H
  • Issues to address from the Solicitation:
  • 1.  What Core Topic Area or subtopic areas could we address (See Section 3.1 in A.41 document)
  • Operations Technologies (Section 3.1.1)
  • Computational Technologies (Section 3.1.2)
  • Data-Centric Technologies (Section 3.1.3)
  • Special Subtopics (Section 3.2)
  • 2.  Benefits to research or applications (Section 5.3.1)
  • Need "relevancy scenario" or use case described
  • 3.  Description of proposed technology (Section 5.3.2)
  • 4.  Comparative Tech Assessment (Section 5.3.3)
  • 5.  TRL Assessment -- where are we and where do we want to get to?  (Section 5.3.4)
  • 6.  Fill out the Quad Chart
  • 7.  Who can we get to endorse the project from our "targeted audience"?
  • How to proceed on answering these questions to determine if we have a potential project?
  • Timeline 
  • Use ESIP Winter Brown Bag to vet & solicit partners?
 
Attending:
Beth, Chris, Nancy
Notes:
  • The meeting was recorded and will / can be sent out via email for future reference.
  • Re:  Core Topics:  seems that our best options are either under:
  • Computational Technologies, particularly the call for info systems that operate directly on "Researchers' tools for analytics including example technology areas:
  • Enhancements of workflows, automation...#3 on list on pg. A.41-4
  • Tools to manage & accelerate the assessment... of models #5 on pg. A.41-4
  • At ESIP Winter last year, there were many presentations on difficulties that climate modelers have in getting key observational data for their models w/o getting entire subsets;  Nancy to follow up and see if we can get to those presentations to hear more about the problems
  • Data-Centric Technologies, especially those that "improve information reuse, facilitate collaboration w/in the research community", particularly looking at the sample technology areas of "Software architectures and frameworks that support..." #3 on list on pg. A.41-5.
  • Pretty clear that we may need to broaden our approach to ToolMatch so that it is not a standalone tool, but part of an architecture of services that can (perhaps) help identify datasets, analyse them automatically and even either identify or provide services that can help scientists do the pre-processing that is needed to use all or subsets of the dataset.
  • We need to bring more "real" scientists into the conversation, and get a better idea of what kind of pre-processing often needs to be done on datasets.  
  • A good target area / audience might well be climate scientists / modelers;  this area should fit within the NASA purview
  • Nancy will be attending a workshop in DC next week, so others may need to start the call if a ToolMatch call is in order.
Action Items:
  • Beth to contact people at NSIDC to see if we can get the information presented at the workshop earlier in the year (or last year) focused on user needs at which various scientists described the kinds of problems they often have with datasets prior to using them, and the kinds of pre-processing that often needs to be done.  
  • Beth to contact Scott Peckham to see if his work could integrate and/or inform our approach
  • Nancy to find the presentations at Winter ESIP last year on issues related to getting observational data for climate modelers.
  • All continue to think about a good direction to take the ToolMatch work for purposes of writing an AIST proposal.
  • We'll find a time to get together at AGU where we can brainstorm more ideas and bring others into the discussions.
 
 
 
26 days ago
Unfiled. Edited by nhoebel@kmotifs.com 26 days ago
nhoebel@kmotifs.com 14 November 2016
 
Agenda:
  • AIST Solicitation
  • Notices of Intent are requested by December 21, 2016, proposals are due February 16, 2017.
  • Proceeding with planning for Tool matchathon for ESIP Summer -- anything we can do now?
  • From last meeting:
  • HDF-oes zoo spreadsheets  - progress?
  • GDAL matrix from matrix (Chris forward of 9/20/16)
  • Establishing calendar for inviting people to the meeting to help add content -- still useful?
  • Adding defs & issues from our google spreadsheets to github
 
Attending:
 
 
Notes:
 
 
Action Items:
 
 
54 days ago
0 / 1
Unfiled. Edited by nhoebel@kmotifs.com , brandon whitehead 54 days ago
nhoebel@kmotifs.com 17 October 2016
Agenda:
  • HDF-oes zoo spreadsheets
  • Plans for hackathon at ESIP Winter?
  • GDAL matrix from matrix (Chris forward of 9/20/16)
  • Establishing calendar for inviting people to the meeting to help add content
 
Participating:
 
 
Notes:
Hackathon advantages from Chris' email of 10/10/16:
"But if we do it right, we could achieve:
(1) Knowledge for toolmatch
(2) Awareness of toolmatch
(3) Greater awareness of tools,
(4) Greater awareness of usability of data in tools (a particular problem for ArcGIS)
 
Prep work needed (from Chris' email of 10/10/16:
 "Yes, it needs a fair amount of prep.  We need:
 
(1) Tools for people to use: ArcGIS, IDV, Panoply, HDFView, ...
(2) Data resources for people to access
(3) Computers to run on (maybe some cloud resources via the cloud computing cluster?)
(4) Some quick-start guides and recipes to assist people
(5) A place to put the results
(6) Some kind of near-real-time feedback of the results
(7) Probably a pre-hackathon signup
(8) Possibly some easy prep work for people to do, either before ESIP or in the first day at ESIP
(9) Helpers"
 
Lessons learned from Hackathons (from Chris email of 10/17/16):
(1) Prep beforehand is key. May consist of brown bag educational seminars, logistical setup.
 
Ergo:  I think we should have two consecutive sessions:  the first a prep session where we can:
(a) make sure any cloud-based resources (ArcGIS?) are working and available
(b) help users install tools onto their laptops
(c) take users through some quick workflows to show how to use tools
(d) verify that data resources are available, and/or help users find them
 
(2) Teams help! 
(a) suggest teams making up data provider + tool provider, data provider + end user, tool provider + end user or all three
(b) ideally set up some form of matchmaking before ESIP
(c) this also brings us directly into the ESIP theme of the year:  Strengthening Ties Between Observations and User Communities
 
(3) Competition:  traditionally, hackathons are competitions, usually most useful or imaginative application In our case, we could have competitions for:
(a) most different tools entered
(b) most different data products entered
(c) most total entries entered
(d) most esoteric/bizarre caveat noticed and noted
(e) Special Prize for any application generated from the information collected
 
(4) And then of course prizes.  Don't want to go through any red tape here, so tokens of our appreciation more than anything else: Vosges candy bar, minibottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, I dunno...
 
Action Items:
  •  
 
 
72 days ago
0 / 4
Unfiled. Edited by brandon whitehead 72 days ago
  • Establishing calendar for inviting people to the meeting to help add content
 
  • Brandon will look at data collected from HDF - EOS zoo to cleanup and see if an example can be generated to prove our approach
brandon w
  • Brandon -- investigate examples
 
82 days ago
0 / 5
Unfiled. Edited by nhoebel@kmotifs.com , brandon whitehead 82 days ago
nhoebel@kmotifs.com 19 September 2016 
Agenda:
  • Notes from last mtg re:  an option for implementation:
  • Chris also reported that we should be able to do a very simple implementation of ToolMatch into the Common Metadata Repository at NASA by adding tags to the metadata for the datasets that are in there using their API and establishing a ToolMatch namespace for the tags about .  One or more of us would have to get permission to add tags, but that should be feasible with Chris' help.  Then, we'd want to write SW or a script to reverse the process where we could get out the information about tools that work with datasets, to prove the efficacy of our approach.  Definitely also seems do-able.  Would be good to do this in anticipation of a funding proposal.  Thoughts?
  • Establishing calendar for inviting people to the meeting to help add content
  • Brainstorm draft proposal
 
Attending:
Brandon, Nancy
 
Notes:
brandon w AIST solicitation (from Skype chat)
nhoebel@kmotifs.com
  • Zoo info from Chris:  Brandon has pulled some most of the data from this site in a spreadsheet form
  • How to use:  As an example - yet TBD
  • Type of documentation:
  • class definitions - See above from github
  • property definitions - see above from github
brandon w
  • relationship (predicate) definitions - see above from github
  • provenance of definition (where appropriate)
  • fit for use (entire structure)
nhoebel@kmotifs.com
  • Journals to consider for papers:
  • Earth & Space Science Informatics Journal (ESSI)
  • Semantic Web Journal
  • Others?
 
Action Items:
From last meeting:
  • NH to find out about AIST announcement - partially done;  not satisfactory answers;  TBD still
  • Chris to follow up on note to NASA contractor who has a semi-automated process for seeing which data products work in which tools, esp. GDAL-related tools.
 
From this meeting:
  • NH to send note to Mike Little of AIST to see what's happening with the announcements for those proposals
  • Brandon will look at data collected from HDF - EOS zoo to cleanup and see if an example can be generated to prove our approach
 
brandon w Agenda items for next meeting:
  • Brandon to discuss examples
  • Brandon to outline for paper 
nhoebel@kmotifs.com
  • Establishing calendar for inviting people to the meeting to help add content
  • Brainstorm draft proposal
 
88 days ago
0 / 4
Unfiled. Edited by brandon whitehead 88 days ago
  • Perhaps there's a way to get the information out from these HTML tables (perhaps as a flat .cvs file) to put into our knowledge store.  Or, perhaps we could get access to the data if it's in a database from our good friends at the HDF Group?  There's a lot of work already done here if we can find a way to get it.  Thoughts?
brandon w
  • let me have a look.  might be able to go from HTML tables to something...useful
 
  • Chris to follow up on note to NASA contractor who has a semi-automated process for seeing which data products work in which tools, esp. GDAL-related tools.
  • Brandon | discuss examples
  • Brandon | outline for paper
 
  • Brainstorm draft proposal
 
110 days ago
0 / 10
Unfiled. Edited by nhoebel@kmotifs.com , brandon whitehead 110 days ago
nhoebel@kmotifs.com 22 August 2016
 
Attending:
Beth, Brandon, Nancy Hoebelheinrich
Apologies:  Soren
 
Agenda:
  • Brainstorm next steps
  • When to invite Bhaskar or ESRI person?
 
Notes:
 
 
Action items;
From last time:
  • Beth - draft project plan by next week in preparation for ADL Quad Chart, due by September 1st;  will discuss on the call next week
  • Brandon, Nancy to look for information on the ADL's Technical Learning Architecture to see if ToolMatch might fit in
  • Nancy to do the same as above
  •  Chris:  look at API for CMR to see in what the form the tags making the assertions should be, whether tags could be added back to the CMR; also see if Tags could then be exported for consumption to demonstrate the end - end capabilities of a ToolMatch. 
  • Nancy to find spreadsheet with the datasets that work with Giovanni that Chris generated many months ago.  See if this info could be re-used or adapted
  • Contact people to attend future meetings to create more assertions:
  • Bhaskar - Nancy to ask
  • Christine or someone from ESRI - Nancy to ask
  • The Tisdales - Beth to ask
From this meeting:
brandon w
  • Sky Bristol and/or USGS CDI funding
 
 
 
Members (41)
brandon whitehead soren scott Anne Basham anirudh prabhu Sophie Hou jgoldstein@usgcrp.gov Amanda L Whitmire Ruth Duerr steven.j.kempler@nasa.gov annieburgess@esipfed.org beth@lingualogica.net max7@rpi.edu b.whitehead@auckland.ac.nz prabha2@rpi.edu jgoldstein@usgrcp.gov rduerr@nsidc.org dhills@gsa.state.al.us jgoldstein@usgcrip.gov tnarock@marymount.edu West, Patrick

Create a New Collection

Cancel

Move XXX to XXX


XXX will be invited to the XXX on XXX.

Cancel

Contact Support



Please check out our How-to Guide and FAQ first to see if your question is already answered! :)

If you have a feature request, please add it to this pad. Thanks!


Log in / Sign up